Friday, February 2, 2018

GSQA Show Entries

Today was the deadline to enter quilts into the Gulf States Quilting Association biennial show. So yesterday I entered three modern quilts. That's what I'm counting as my finish this week. Although I did get some sewing done, nothing is complete.

I planned to enter five quilts, which is the limit, but decided that two of the quilts are too large. I can't afford all of the costs of entering shows. The two large quilts are too heavy for standard mail and won't fit into the flat rate box with the quilts that are going.
Modern Scrap Sampler
I thought about this for a few minutes. I wanted to know, in general, the total cost of entering a quilt show.  This is what I came up with: 1) you need to be a member of the guild or association; 2) you pay the costs to enter the quilt(s) in the show. Of course, 3) you have to get the quilts there, so pay for shipping. No matter what, 4) you know you want the quilt(s) back, so pay for shipping again. All total, I will spend $80 to enter these three smallish quilts.


I may want to go to the show with my guild, that's more money for transportation, meals and shopping (maybe?) Add these in and I've hit $100 before I consider the question of shopping. I guess I know the answer to that question. :) Do you get to do much shopping at shows?



Now don't misunderstand me: I am president of our local guild and know how much everything costs. Even little prizes and treats add up quickly. So I get it, the guild is trying to raise money. The problem is that I'd really like to participate more in state, regional, and national events but, honestly, I can't afford it. Not being able to participate hurts my heart: there's a whole world of quilting out there. Oh, how I'd like to be a part of it somehow!

I'm open to suggestions for ways to be more involved without it costing more than, say, my monthly water bill. If you have any ideas, please pass them along in the comments.


I'm also adding this post to a few...
Link Ups!

4 comments:

Karen S said...

Those are interesting thoughts. I have not entered shows here so have no idea of the costs to compare, but I agree with looking at your estimates that it can add up.
Even if you drive to drop them off rather than posting, there is still a cost involved in that.
I suppose one way would be to work in with like minded people and take turns at delivering and picking up entries from shows. That way the cost is shared. But it relies on having a few people all wanting to do the same thing and being very reliable.
As for spending at the shows - that is a huge trap.

Mary Marcotte said...

You know, Karen, sharing expenses with someone else is a great idea. I might have some difficultly in letting another person be responsible for my quilts. I'm a bit of a control freak--yes, despite my forgetfulness. At least I'd be less concerned once I get to know and trust another person. I'm going to have to look into that. I'll be at the show on one of the days, so I'll try to make a list of people in the state who have quilts in the show. Oh, I could also speak to the officers...maybe there's a directory. Oh good, you've got me thinking in a positive way. (I was pretty glum thinking about the money it would cost.) Thank you. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I can't afford to enter quilt shows, either. I participate in one big quilt show by volunteering to work. One year I was a quilt angel. Another year I was able to work in a booth and got to meet other people.
Addie

Kaja said...

Following on from Karen's suggestion, if there isn't a directory maybe you could start one; I'm guessing you won't be the only person out there who would like to enter more without it costing too much.