Sunday, November 12, 2017

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: IQA Houston {4}

Last weekend's trip to Houston and the International Quilt Association Show was wonderful and thrilling (I had two days!) and inspiring. I thought that, since the works were so inspiring for me, you might find something to inspire you. To that end, I have these to share.


You may have seen them on other blogs or Pinterest. If so, more likely the photos were a bit better than mine, but I've grown accustomed to my own and I take pictures of the quilts I like. Some are not within my personal tastes, but I take a photo anyway--for reasons I cannot explain. But there you go--I just do.


Sometimes  it's the concept of the thing. The quilt above is one of those "concepts." If you look closely, what appears to be small dots are actually the leaf on the Canadian flag. The bars are bars. Put them together and you've got Morse code. Arrange them in this order precisely, and you've got the Canadian Anthem. Now there's a concept I can get on board with. Really! Isn't it a novel idea and one to show pride of country?



Many of the quilts spoke to me through their use of line. The quilts above and below do that. Look closely and notice the quilting. Amazing!





This one is filed under "I don't know." I just liked it, I guess.



This one above I do know. I love it! It gave me an idea for an art quilt of my own. We'll see how that goes. :)



This one got me for it perspective: it's a view from and opening inside a castle.  The quilt below is actually two quilts, but what I like is the perspective of a bird's eye view.














 Again, the lines, the perspective, the colors. I could not resist this one or the one below. Look carefully at the story it tells.




This quilt is a political one: the squares represent tents for refugees from wars around the globe. It seems simple, until one reads the blurb, and suddenly it says so much.













I am curious about what you think of this last one. I have some ideas and opinions (of course) but I'm guessing that I'm overthinking the fun. Tell me what you see in the comments. It's perfect for an interesting discussion of form, color, meaning, expression, and yes, inspiration...just about anything to do with art. Let's chat.

And I hope you are inspired by one or more of these quilts. I can't express how much they move me. You can more of the IQS quilt photos on my Pinterest board, "heart, quilts" which has almost 7,500 different quilts. Now there's some inspiration for you!

4 comments:

jenclair said...

I'm going to try again today; yesterday, I made 4 (FOUR) attempts and each one got some kind of Google crazy error.

Love all of the quilts; such beauty, skill, and variety. The last one is intriguing. I like the colors and the images that look like cave or rock art, oh, and the two crowns. SAMO - "same old" or the grafitti tag?

jenclair said...

Yay! I don't remember exactly what I said on each of my previous attempts, but that is the gist of it. What are thinking about that last quilt?

Mary Marcotte said...

Hahaha, you are such a persistent friend, Jenclair! I can't figure out the last one either. Sometimes I look at it and think it's just too crazy for my taste, but at other times I think, "Hey I could do that!" (I'm just that crazy.)
Thanks for being so persistent!

Karen S said...

Great selection of quilts to posts. At a display like that it must be overwhelming.. Love seeing them.
Not sure about the last one but I would like to read the quilter's statement about it.