Friday, November 10, 2017

SLU tee-shirt quilt finish

We started with this...



And this



Then eventually made it to this...



And this...



And all the way down to this...



And ended up with this front...



And this yellow and green back...




Quilt Stats
Name: Ainsworth Tee-shirt Memory Quilt
Size: 84 x 92
Fabrics: Tee shirts from client
Backing: yellow and deep green Kona
Binding: deep green Kona 
Pattern: Puzzle design
Quilting: Custom FMQ based on tee design
Completed: November 6, 2017

And the requisite close-up to show the custom quilting, which is the time-consuming part of the process, but also the most fun. :)




What do you think of that back? I used more of the yellow because the green is very dark, but it feels that there's still too much green. I think it has something to do with that strip of tees in the yellow. Maybe the strip breaks up the yellow too much? What are the best proportions when including a strip of tees? Or maybe the question is how can I add the strip, still use both colors, and avoid this feeling that the proportion is off? I really want your input/suggestions. I have two more quilts that will have tee shirts on the back, so I need to figure this out.



Link Ups!



3 comments:

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

It's a great blend of colours and design, I really like it. The back? Perfect, it's always better balanced when things are off centre, like the rule of thirds when taking photos, the same things apply. I like the yellow and green too. Congrats on a lovely finish.

Kaja said...

I've got no helpful suggestions about the back, though it looks fine to me. I would just put it all done, move the t-shirt strip around until it pleased me. If you think there's too much dark green could you do another, maybe shorter strip to break it up? Or put the strip between the yellow and green? T-shirt quilts always fascinate me though, and I like this one a lot.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I like what you did with the back of the quilt. If you aren't happy with it, next time you could try cutting the green section in half and added the off-cut to the other side to achieve a more balanced look.